Sunday, December 7, 2014

Introduction: In the Introduction, I will state the main argument about how digital technology and the Internet are affecting human cognition skills. I will further analyze how those forms of technology positively and negatively affect human thinking. I will also be providing my own logic and reasoning about my position on the topic.

1st Body: In my first body paragraph, I will introduce Clive Thompson's article, "Public Thinking." I will give a brief summary about Thompson's belief that the Internet has a positive effect on human thinking and state the ways in which he backs up his argument. I will also state the strategies that he uses and further analyze his sub claim that the increase in writing with these technologies helps to clarify thinking, generate ideas, and improve memory. I will also state the effectiveness of his sub claim.

2nd Body: In my second body paragraph, I will move on to introducing Carr's article, "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" I will explain how Carr has opposite beliefs than Thompson on the topic of how the Internet is affecting human cognition. I will briefly summarize Carr's main argument that the Internet has negative affects on human thinking and how he backs up his argument. I will state what strategies Carr uses to explain his argument and then analyze his sub claim that the Internet lowers people's ability to concentrate. I will also state the effectiveness of his sub claim.

3rd Body: In my third body paragraph, I will introduce my own thoughts about the topic of how the Internet affects human cognition. I will first state how I agree with certain parts of each author's arguments and then state how there can be positive and negative effects of the Internet. I will provide my own anecdotes and personal experiences with the Internet and state how I have been affected. I will further explain my belief that the Internet's affect on others is solely based on how and how much people use the Internet.

Conclusion: In my conclusion, I will wrap up my argument by restating Thompson's and Carr's beliefs on the topic of the effects of the Internet. Then I will restate how I agree with certain parts of each author's argument and provide how I have personally been affected. I will also state why this topic is important and how it affects everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment